Even though taking possession of a new home is fun, people often dread the moving process itself. Moving can be a stressful experience.
Here are 10 ways that careful planning can make your move a little easier:
1. Packing Central. Create a spot for your packing list, labels, markers, tape, etc.
2. Make a List. Write everything down! Before you pack anything, create a system. Number EVERY box you pack and write the contents on your list.
3. Supplies. You’ll need lots of boxes and packing materials – more than you think. Set aside about 10 boxes for last minute moving day items. Tall wardrobe boxes are perfect for bulky, lightweight items like comforters, pillows, and clothes that need to remain hanging.
4. Color Code. Designate a color for each room in your new home and put colored stickers on each box. In your new home, put a matching sticker on the door to each room so movers know where to put things.
5. Keep Things Together. Keep light bulbs with lamps, picture hooks with pictures, etc.
6. Pack Early. Save time by packing everything you can ahead of time. If it’s not essential to daily living, pack it!
7. Cleaning Kit. Put together a kit of basic cleaning supplies for moving day clean up jobs.
8. Use Luggage. Save boxes by packing items in luggage and duffle bags.
9. Keep Valuables Safe. Keep valuable possessions like jewelry and family heirlooms with you. Check your homeowner’s insurance to see how they’re covered during the move. Keep important papers and phone numbers with you.
10. Get rid of it. Donate, give away or throw away 20%. De-clutter. Simplify.